Introduction to Panel
Parallels Plesk Panel consists of the following main components:
- Front-end GUI service. The GUI, served with the Internet Information Services (IIS) server, is the main means of interaction with Panel.
- Panel core. The core processes management requests from the Panel GUI, command line interface, and API RPC. The core contains scripts, binary files and other resources used to link Panel components with each other and with external services.
- Panel's main database called
psa. The database stores information about Panel objects, such as IP addresses, domains, user accounts, and many others. The database is served by MySQL or the Microsoft SQL database engine.
- Panel's configuration files.
- Panel's log files.
- Command-line utilities. Command-line interface allows integration of third-party software with Panel, and provides the means to manage Panel through the server console. For more information about the Panel command-line interface, refer to Panel Command Line Reference.
- API RPC. This interface is another way to integrate third-party software with Panel. It allows to manage Panel objects from remote by sending specifically structured XML packets and receiving responses from Panel. For more information on API RPC, refer to API RPC Developer's Guide and API RPC Protocol Reference.
Services Managed by Panel
Panel uses standard packages for the following services:
- IIS as a set of Internet services including HTTP, FTP, and others.
- FTP servers - ServU, Gene-6, used as alternative FTP servers.
- Mail servers - MailEnable, IceWarp (Merak), CommuniGate Pro, or SmarterMail.
- BIND or MS DNS - used as the domain name server.
- MySQL used to store the Panel's database called psa that is used for administrative purposes
- MSSQL or MySQL - used as a database server by Panel users.
- Tomcat - used as an infrastructure for servlet and JSP-based applications shipped in the *.war format.
- JDK (j2sdk) - used as a library for java applications.
- SpamAssassin - used as protection against spam e-mail messages.
- Parallels Premium Antivirus, Kaspersky Antivirus, or IceWarp Antivirus - used as e-mail antivirus tools.
Files and Directories Used by Panel Installations
Parallels Plesk Panel and its components are installed by default in the directory
C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\ on a physical server, or
C:\Program Files\Plesk\ in the Parallels Containers environment. The default installation directory is referred to as
%plesk_dir% in the following list. Some of the subdirectories with corresponding components are listed below.
- %plesk_dir%\admin\ - The core components used by Panel GUI.
- %plesk_dir%\admin\plib\ - Panel's PHP files.
- %plesk_dir%\admin\bin\ - Binary utilities.
- %plesk_dir%\bin\ - Binary utilities.
- %plesk_dir%\etc\ - Configuration files.
- %plesk_dir%\MailServer\ - Mail servers.
- %plesk_dir%\backup\ - Backup files.
- %plesk_dir%\dns\ - BIND name server files.
- %plesk_dir%\MySql\ - Panel's MySQL database server.
- %plesk_dir%\Databases\ - Database servers for serving user data.
Please send us your feedback on this help page.