If you are using one of the earlier Panel versions, you can choose between two ways of upgrading to Panel 11.5: in-place upgrade or upgrade by transfer. Choosing the upgrade way is up to you. Next in this section we will provide basic considerations on both ways.
Important: If you upgrade from Panel 9 or earlier, you should perform additional steps to complete transition to the new business model used since Panel 10. The instructions on what to do after upgrading from Panel 9 and earlier are provided in the chapter Completing Upgrade from Panel 9 and Earlier Versions.
In-Place Panel Upgrading
In-place upgrading implies updating Panel components within one server. This way of upgrading has the following pros and cons:
- Supports the following Panel versions: Panel 8.x and later.
- Does not support operating system (OS) upgrading. Thus, if your current OS is not supported by the Panel version you want to upgrade to, it is not possible to upgrade the OS first and then upgrade Panel.
- Can be automated for a number of Panel servers.
- Preserves all custom configurations of system services. All third-party services and Panel extensions remain intact.
- Issues arising during an in-place upgrade (for example, a hardware failure) may lead to Panel inoperability.
Learn how to perform in-place upgrade in In-Place Panel Upgrading.
Upgrading Panel by Transfer
Upgrade by transfer means moving Panel data (subscriptions, accounts, and so on) from a server with an earlier Panel version (source) to the server with a clean Panel 11.5 installation (destination). This way of upgrading has the following pros and cons:
- Supports the following Panel versions: Panel 7.5 and later.
- Allows you to move Panel from a server with currently unsupported OS to the server with a later (supported) OS version.
- Cannot be automated for a number of Panel servers.
- Does not preserve custom configurations of system services, third-party services, and Panel extensions. They are not transferred to the destination server.
- The source server is not affected by the upgrade in any way. Even if the upgrade is unsuccessful, the source server continues working.
Learn how to perform upgrade by transfer in Upgrading Panel by Transfer.