Transferring User Accounts, Domain Names and Web Sites from Other Hosting Platforms
You can transfer data (user accounts, settings, Web sites and e-mail) to your Parallels Plesk Panel from other hosting servers managed by earlier versions of Parallels Plesk Panel or other Web hosting software.
For a full list of Web hosting platforms from which data transfer is supported, please refer to the Migration Guide at http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/resources/.
Data transfers from Windows-based servers to Linux/Unix-based servers are not supported by the Migration Manager function available from the Parallels Plesk Panel; however, you can transfer data from a Windows-based server to a Linux/Unix-based server by backing up data on a source server and then restoring them on the destination server using the command line backup and restore utilities, as described in the Backup and Restore Utilities Administrator's Guide available at http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/resources/.
Important: Before transferring data from Windows-based servers, you need to obtain the Parallels Plesk Panel Migration
Manager Agent installer from the Parallels site at http://www.parallels.com/download/plesk/utilities/, install and run it on your source server, as described in the Migration Guide at http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/resources/. Only after that you can start transferring data as described in the following procedure.
To transfer user accounts, domains, and Web sites with applications from other hosting servers:
- Go to Home > Migration Manager (in the Help & Support group).
- To check if there are any updates for Migration Manager components, click Synchronize. These updates may include files of migration agents that enable support for transferring data from hosting platforms other than Parallels Plesk Panel.
- Click Start New Migration.
- Leave the Transfer data from another server option selected, and specify the following options:
- The source server's address. Specify either the IP address or the host name of the server, from which you want to transfer data.
- The login name and password used for logging in to the source server.
Note: The option Transfer data already processed by the migration agent and located on the local host can be used to import data from a file, as described in the section Importing Data From a File. This is another way to transfer data, which can be used in cases when the source server is offline, and you have previously gathered data from it.
- Select the type of operating system running on the source host. (This option is available if you are using Parallels Plesk Panel 9 for Windows hosting platform.)
- Specify the path to the directory where temporary files will be stored.
- Specify whether you want to transfer all data related to user accounts and domains from the source server, or only specific items.
- Select the data compression option, if you pay per the amount of transferred data, or if you want to save bandwidth. Data compression saves bandwidth, but consumes more disk space.
- Click Next>>. The migration manager will connect to the specified server and gather information about the business objects of the source hosting platform.
- If you are transferring data from hosting platforms other than Parallels Plesk Panel, select the version of the migration agent that must be used and then click Next >>. Parallels Plesk Panel automatically selects the appropriate agent version; however, if data transfer fails, you can try selecting another version of migration agent.
- If you have chosen to transfer only specific items, at this step, select the check boxes corresponding to the user accounts and domains (Web sites) that you want to transfer. Also, specify what types of data should be transferred:
- All settings and content.
- All settings and content except mail.
- Only mail accounts with e-mail messages.
- Click Next >>.
- Once the data are retrieved from the source server, specify the new IP addresses that should be used. If you have a great number of IP addresses, at this step, you can download the current IP mapping file, correct it in a text editor or by running a custom find and replace script, and then upload it back to the server.
- Click Next >>. The data transfer process should start immediately; however, If some of the selected items cannot be transferred because of possible configuration or resource usage conflicts, you will be taken to the next step and prompted to specify the conflict resolution policies.
- If prompted, specify how to resolve the following types of conflicts:
- Timing conflicts that occur when an item to be transferred already exists on the destination server and has a more recent modification date. You can choose any of the following options:
- Use the configuration and data from the source server. This will overwrite the configuration and data currently present in the destination server with the configuration and data retrieved from the source server.
- Use the configuration from the destination server, and the data from the source server.
- Do not transfer items with timing conflicts.
- Resource usage conflicts that occur when an item to be transferred would exceed the resource usage limits defined on the destination server for this type of items. You can choose any of the following options:
- Transfer the item and allow resource overuse.
- Do not transfer the item.
- Configuration conflicts that occur when the settings of an item to be transferred are neither allowed nor available on the destination server. You can choose to:
- Transfer the item and allow the required configuration options and settings.
- Do not transfer the item.
- Click Next >>.
- Once data transfer is completed, a detailed report will be presented on the screen. Click OK to exit the wizard.
Note: For further details on the hosting data transfers, especially related to transfers from Plesk 8.x and earlier versions, refer to the Migration Guide available at http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/resources/.