Reviewing Your Hosting Package
To review or select the hosting features available for your account (if your provider delegated the permission to manage the hosting options for your account):
- On your Home page, click Web Hosting Settings.
- View or change your hosting options:
- IP Address. Your domain can be hosted on either exclusive IP address or shared IP address. Choose an address from your service provider's IP addresses pool.
- Certificate. Shows the information about an SSL certificate used by your site.
- SSL support. Secure Sockets Layer encryption is generally used for protecting transfer of sensitive data during online transactions on e-commerce Web sites that run on dedicated IP addresses. SSL certificates that participate in the encryption process are usually applied to a single domain name on a single IP address, therefore, each site that needs SSL protection must be hosted on a dedicated IP address. An exception to this is subdomains, which you can protect with a wildcard certificate. Installing an SSL certificate on a Web server that hosts several web sites with different domain names on a single IP address (shared or name-based hosting) is technically possible, however, it is not recommended: the encryption will be provided, but users will get warning messages on attempt to connect to the secure site. To allow SSL encryption for Web sites, select the SSL support check box.
- Use a single directory for housing SSL and non-SSL content (available only for Linux hosting). By default, when users publish their sites through their FTP accounts, they need to upload the web content that should be accessible via secure connections to the
httpsdocs directory, and the content that should be accessible via plain HTTP, to the
httpdocs directory. For the convenience of publishing all content through a single location –
httpdocs directory, select the Use a single directory for housing SSL and non-SSL content check box.
- FTP login and FTP password. Specify the user name and password that will be used for publishing the site to the server through FTP. Retype the password into the Confirm Password box.
- Hard disk quota. Specify the amount of disk space in megabytes allocated to the web space for this site. This is the so-called hard quota that will not allow writing more files to the web space when the limit is reached. At attempt to write files, users will get the "Out of disk space" error. Hard quotas should be enabled in the server's operating system, so if you see the "Hard disk quota is not supported" notice to the right of the Hard disk quota field, but would like to use the hard quotas, contact your provider or the server administrator and ask to enable the hard quotas.
- Shell access to server with FTP user's credentials (available only for Linux hosting) or Access to system (available only for Windows hosting). This allows you to upload securely web content to the server through a Secure Socket Shell connection, however, allowing shell access also poses a potential threat to the server security, so we recommend that you do not allow shell access. Leave the Forbidden option selected.
- Microsoft FrontPage support. Microsoft FrontPage is a popular web site authoring tool. To enable users to publish and modify their sites through Microsoft FrontPage, select the Microsoft FrontPage support and Microsoft FrontPage over SSL support check boxes, set the Microsoft FrontPage authoring option to allowed, and specify the FrontPage Administrator's login and password.
- Services, or support for programming and scripting languages supported by your hosting environment. Specify which of the following programming and scripting languages should be interpreted, executed or otherwise processed by the web server: Active Server Pages (ASP), Server Side Includes (SSI), PHP hypertext preprocessor (PHP), Common Gateway Interface (CGI), Fast Common Gateway Interface (FastCGI), Perl, Python, ColdFusion and Miva scripting required for running Miva e-commerce solutions.
- Web statistics. To allow you to view the information on the number of people visited your site and the pages of the site they viewed, select the required program from Web statistics menu (AWStats is recommended) and select the accessible via password protected directory /plesk-stat/webstat check box. This will install the statistics program which will generate reports and place them into the password protected directory. You will then be able to access Web statistics at the URL: https://your-domain.com/plesk-stat/webstat using your FTP account login and password.
Note: When you switch from one statistics program to another, all reports created by the previously used statistics program are deleted and new reports are created in accordance with the information read from log files kept on the server. This means that if you configured the system (at Log Manager > Log Rotation) so as to keep log files only for the last month, then Web statistics will be available only for the last month.
- Custom error documents. When visitors coming to your site request pages that the web server cannot find, the web server generates and displays a standard HTML page with an error message. If you wish to create your own error pages and use them on your web server, select the Custom error documents check box.
- Additional write/modify permissions (available only for Windows hosting). This option is required if Web applications under a domain will be using a file-based database (like Jet) located in the root of
httpsdocs folders. Please note that selecting this option might seriously compromise the Web site security.
- Use dedicated IIS application pool (available only for Windows hosting). This option enables the use of dedicated IIS application pool for Web applications on a domain. Using dedicated IIS application pool dramatically improves the stability of domain Web applications due to worker process isolation mode. This mode gives each Web site hosted on the server the possibility to allocate a separate process pool for execution of its Web applications. This way, malfunction in one application will not cause stopping of all the others. This is especially useful when you are using shared hosting package.
- Click OK.